Newborn Skin Care: 15 Tips to Keep Your Baby’s Skin Healthy
Share This Article
Learn about donation options.
Subscribe our newsletter
to be notified when we publish
Babies waiting to be born in amniotic fluid in the mother’s womb undergo a period of adaptation after birth. The skin of newborn babies, like everything else, is susceptible and delicate. Their skin is thinner and less oily. It takes 2-3 weeks after birth for them to get used to the dry air. They need special and attentive care during this period as they can be easily affected by external factors.
Skin dryness, rash, flaking, crusting, rash, and peeling are among the most common problems in this period. To help you with what your babies may need, we have prepared a detailed article to help you with recommendations for skincare in newborn babies and what to pay attention to. You can start reading what you need to know about the sensitive skin of babies.
Skin Structure of Newborn Babies
Your baby, who opens his eyes to the world, continues his development after birth and tries to adapt to the world. Their skin is also at the beginning of this adaptation process. Since it is very thin and sensitive compared to adults, it is very important for the peace and health of the baby that the parents are careful in this regard.
When babies are born, they have a waxy layer on their skin. This layer has a structure necessary to protect it from the first effects of the external environment. Therefore, this layer should not be tried to be cleaned. It will disappear on its own with time and washing. In addition, when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time, you may notice that his skin is dry. Don’t worry about this because babies are in a liquid in the womb and cannot get used to the dry air of the world right away. In addition, since their skin is quite thin, their ability to retain moisture has not yet developed. For this reason, it is natural to see problems such as dryness, flaking, and peeling.
One of the well-known misconceptions among people is the belief that olive oil is good for baby skin in this period. This is entirely false information because olive oil has an acidic nature, which can irritate. Instead, you can use water-based creams or lotions with the advice of a doctor to solve this problem.
Umbilical Cord and Your Baby's First Bath
This period falls off on its own in about 7-14 days. During this period, it should be maintained and cleaned to avoid problems such as inflammation and infection. For its maintenance, attention should be paid to:
- The diaper should not cover the belly button.
- This area should not remain moist.
- The belly area should be ventilated by removing the clothes from time to time.
- If the doctor approves, it should be cleaned with an alcohol gauze pad.
- Until the umbilical cord falls off, it is wiped after wetting and soaping a soft cloth to clean the baby’s skin, and then it is cleaned with a wet cloth so that it does not remain soapy.
When you pay attention to these points, the umbilical cord will fall off without any problems. This is where the baby’s first bath comes into play. You can give your baby his first bath one day after the umbilical cord falls off. While taking a bath;
- If the baby has had surgery or has a wound on his body, you should use boiled and warmed water. The doctor’s advice can be obtained in this regard.
- You can control the water in which you will wash your baby with the inside of your arm.
- You should use fragrance-free, paraben-free, and SLE-free baby shampoo and soap for your baby’s sensitive skin.
- You can add 1-2 drops of natural oils to the rinse water to moisturize your baby’s skin. Afterward, you should moisturize with a cream or lotion specially formulated for babies.
Skin Care Recommendations for Newborn Babies
Babies who open their eyes to the world try to get used to many new things while adapting to the outside world. Daily habits such as sleeping patterns, feeding, and bathing are the main ones, but they continue to develop. Baby skin also tries to adapt from a liquid environment to a dry environment after the mother’s womb and develops during this period. For this reason, extra care must be taken. Below you can find our recommendations for moisturizing the skin and preventing irritation.
- The skin of newborn babies is knotty. For this reason, dirt can accumulate between these folds and then lead to infection. To avoid such a situation, the internodes should be cleaned and moistened regularly every day.
- Some babies may have skin deposits, known as the host, after birth. These should not be removed; they should be expected to be removed by themselves with a moisturizing shampoo or cream. Otherwise, your baby’s skin may be irritated.
- The skin of some babies may be very dry after birth, and therefore dandruff may occur. For this, moisturizing creams should be used.
- One of the most important things to prevent the baby’s skin from being irritated and nappy is the frequency of changing the diaper. After a while, problems begin to occur on the skin, which has been in contact with urine and poop for a long time. For this reason, the diaper should not be left wet, it should be changed frequently, and then the skin should be moistened with creams or oils. In addition, the baby’s bottom can be washed with warm water after changing the diaper.
- It is very important what the baby’s clothes are washed with as much as his skin. For this reason, your baby’s clothes should be washed with detergent specially formulated for babies.
- If you take your baby out to the sun, you should pay attention to sun protection as your baby’s skin is very sensitive to ultraviolet rays. You can protect your baby from the sun with sunscreen creams or clothes.
- Since 100% cotton clothes are more suitable for babies’ skin, this should be considered when choosing clothes.
- It is important to maintain the moisture balance of the skin. Breast milk is sufficient for this in the first months, but when you switch to complementary foods, your baby’s water consumption becomes important for the skin’s moisture balance. For this reason, attention should be paid to the baby’s water consumption.
- One of the common thoughts among people is that powder should be used for diaper rash. However, according to the studies conducted in recent years and doctor’s recommendations, it is recommended not to use powder because it has a very fine structure. It is possible that it can be carried to the lungs by inhalation. Instead, diaper rash creams or natural oils can be preferred.
- If your baby has birthmarks, they should not be treated with medication or cream. Birthmarks can go away after a while, or they can be permanent. It would be best to talk to your doctor for detailed information about these or their treatment.
- If you have a male baby who has been circumcised, you should also pay attention to keeping this area clean.
- Nail care is also critical. Babies’ nails are very sharp because they have a thin structure. For this reason, he may scratch his face with his hand and harm himself. For this reason, you should follow your baby’s nail length and cut it regularly. You can use baby nail clippers and files for this.
- In summer, your baby may sweat frequently and have a rash. The rash appears as red dots on the baby’s skin. These occur due to clogged sweat glands. For this reason, what needs to be done to prevent rashes is to ensure that your baby sweats as little as possible. For this, you can wear non-sweaty cotton and thin clothes, your baby should be protected from the sun, and you should not go out when the sun is adequate.
- We told you to use baby oil and creams to moisturize your baby’s body after the bath. This is very important for your baby’s skin, yes, but you can also massage your baby with these oils and creams to strengthen your bond with your baby. This will both please him, and you will create a moment where you can have a pleasant time together.
- So far, we have talked about the care rituals that you can apply directly to your baby’s skin. In addition to these, you should make sure that the air in your baby’s environment is sufficiently humid and warm. Since the air conditioner will dry the air of the environment where it works, you should be careful not to operate it in the baby’s environment.
We are supporting women all around the world before, during, and after their pregnancy by providing up-to-date information and advice, and tools.
We kindly ask for your support to continue to produce content for you and to enable you.